March 17, 2010

How to Dye Your Hair at Home - and How to Touch Up the Roots, Too

I've written about my friend, S, before.  She and hubby E brought home an adorable puppy a little while ago, and now the house is filled with little kids and a baby dog.  And a hub that works from home.  And S, who works from home, too.  It can be loud, it can be crazy.

When leads us to the morning that S missed her hair appointment for blonde highlights, decided she'd had enough of spending $100s at the salon, and drove her bad self to CVS.  There, with the help of sales clerk, she bought a box of L'Oreal for less than $10 and went back home -- where at her convenience, late that night after the kids were in bed and the hub was happy surfing the TV channels, she returned herself to her natural brunette color.

And she is so happy with the results, she's telling everybody that they should do this too.  Time saver, money saver. 

So, Dear Reader, here are two videos that show you not only how to dye your hair at home, but a great video that explains how to keep up with those roots once your hair starts to grow:

Here's a Great Video on How to Dye Your Hair at Home



Here's a Fabulous Video on Touching Up your Roots at Home

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doing your own hair touch ups is certainly simpler and less expensive but I am actually considering something more radical. Have you noticed that there are a lot of grey haired men that are apparently with women 10 or 20 years younger? Well, judging by their hair color. I celebrate the big 5-0 this year and am really thinking about embracing the grey. Not only simpler and less expensive but also my own philosophical stand on how the color of my hair reflects my life journey. I am not the person I was at 35. I have learned a lot, changed a lot and being mistaken for being younger may not be everything it's cracked up to be. Sure it's an ego stroker when people find out your kids are university graduates, but really maybe that part of the conversation doesn't need to happen. I'd like to think that there may be more stimulating and interesting things for us to talk about.

So...I for one am going to be seeing my stylist less often and enjoy the money I save on other pursuits like books and plants. I am hoping to see more women my age also enjoying the freedom of the grey.

Frances
Canuck Connection

Unknown said...

Hi Frances,

First, thanks so much for taking the time to write!

And, I hear you. Me, I have strange hair. It's unintentionally highlighted itself. I was born blonde, and now I've got strands of blonde, a darker blonde color, grey, and even a few bits of brown all living in harmony on my head.

I get compliments on my hair, and people think I paid for this. I let them.

However, when my pal S did her CVS makeover it did give me pause. Maybe I should become the same shade I was at 25, or 35, for that matter. Get rid of all this chaos.

Except I like it. Maybe if it was all grey, I'd think differently. Maybe if no one ever said "you've got great hair" I'd be running to the store.

And, maybe, part of it is that I'm kinda liking NOT being 25 or 35 again. I agree, Frances, I'm not the same person I was then and that's something I'm happy about.

You're so right -- it is all about the life journey. Since S's color change, I'm been mulling over what it means to be older in our current culture, and what I think about it.

You've added more food for thought. I particularly like your phrase, "Freedom of the Grey." Love that.

Makes me think about being free from this youth-obsession that America seems to have -- everyone from what books are published, to what movies are made, yadda yadda.

Enough. I'm gonna keep pondering this, and thanks so much for writing.

You made my day!
Reba

PS Frances, I searched for "canuck connection" to include a link to your site here -- but I got more than one result. If you send it to me, I'll update this post with your link. Thx again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...