And, over the years, I've tried lots and lots of remedies for this problem - because no, I will not go with the easy alternative of moving the dogs outside. I LIKE having the pups inside with me. They do play outside, they have a nice yard. But at night, or now, while I'm working, they are nearby. It's comforting, it's fun.
Dog lovers totally get this.
Plus, as pack animals, you'll get a lot better results in training your dog by maintaining that Pack Persona. Leave your dogs alone and away from you, and they'll form their own mini-pack bond, and you'll lose some Pack Leader Power. They don't have to be your shadow, but especially at night, it's a big pack thing to be near each other.
However, there are always negatives with the positives and, well, they are dogs. And dogs will leave a scent, no matter how much you bathe them. What to do? I have the answer.
1. Air out your house often. This is just good for you anyway, get fresh air circulating inside.
2. Use OdoBan DAILY. It's cheap, it's used in nursing homes and day care centers all over the place because it really, really works. Doesn't cost that much either.
Me, I have OdoBan spray bottles scattered throughout the house (the big gallon bottle at Sam's comes with a quart size sprayer), hidden in cabinets, underneath the desk, etc. I buy the big gallon bottle at Sam's Club - it comes undiluted, then replishish my stash bottles as often as needed.
OdoBan smells nice. A little eucalyptus-y. And it kills the odors. You can spray it EVERYWHERE. Sofas, rugs, doggie beds, never stains.
What all does OdoBan do? From the OdoBan site:
- Deodorizer… eliminates unpleasant odors on washable surfaces such as upholstery, carpets, bedding, showers, walls and floors while leaving a fresh scent.
- Sanitizer… kills 99.99% of germs such as †Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep), Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E.coli)(pathogenic strain), Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus (Staph) and Klebsiella pneumoniae on hard, nonporous, nonfood contact surfaces in 60 seconds.
- Disinfectant… fungicidal against germs ‡such as Trichophyton mentagrophyte (the athlete's foot fungus), when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower and bath areas and exercise facilities.
- Mildewstat… effectively controls and inhibits the growth of mold and mildew.
- Virucide*… kills *HIV-1 (AIDS Virus), Influenza A/Hong Kong and Herpes Simplex type 2 in 60 seconds.
I've just discovered that OdoBan has an entire line of pet-related products. I'll be investigating them, but I don't know how they could surpass my current basic OdoBan stuff. It's just fabulous. Maybe the pet urine product would be good for my friends that just got the new puppy ....