February 6, 2006
Shopping For Scratch and Dent Appliances
Scratch and Dent Appliance stores appear to be everywhere, if you google for them. Real finds can be found here: dishwashers, ranges, cooktops, freezers, refrigerators, washers, dryers, even trash compactors, dehumidifiers, and window air conditioning units are available.
When shopping for your bargain purchase, remember to investigate the following:
1. Are they offering only scratch and dent products, or does their inventory include Closeouts, Seasonal Items, Overstock, Floor Models, Discontinued Items? (Stores that focus on scratch and dents may have better prices.)
2. Do they respect manufacturers' warranties?
3. Do they deliver? Do they install as well?
4. Will they take your old one away? Better yet, will they buy it?
5. What financing, promotions, rebates, etc. apply?
6. What are their references? How long have they been in business?
7. Do they do repairs?
8. Do they warrant what they sell, independently from the manufacturer?
9. Is there a return policy?